REPORTS TO: Clinic Manager
The Ophthalmic Assistant generates important preliminary information, reviews patient status
and performs initial visual examination for the physician. Completes additional testings as prescribed by the physician.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & ACCOUNTABILITIES:
- Greet patients and introduce self-prior to eye exam. Verifies patient data.
- Explain to patient what patient should expect from workup and physician exam
- Completes a detailed patient history including past medical history, family medical history, medication
history and chief complaint.
- Performs appropriate tests as needed according to office policy and procedures.
- Ensures patient workup is done timely.
- Assists with Contact Lens services as needed.
- Ensures appropriate supplies & equipment are available and functional in each exam room for patient care
according to office policy and procedures.
- Assists with back office procedure to provide good patient/doctor workflow.
- Does patient education in the office and on the telephone. Ensures appropriate documentation is available
in patients’ records.
- Assists in developing, implementing, and maintaining medical records and operating procedures.
- Attends required staff and educational meetings as requested.
- Maintains the strictest confidentiality.
- Provides assistance in all other areas in office when completion of above responsibilities permits to ensure
smooth operation of the practice.
- Provides assistance to administration in developing, implementing and maintaining office policies and
- Responsible for a complete knowledge and adherence of all BJSEC compliance plans, policies and
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- At least one-year experience in medical office environment, preferred.
- Knowledge of medical terminology.
- Attain Ophthalmic Assistant Certification within 2 years of employment.
Competitive pay & benefits package to include Health Insurance with a Health Savings Account, Dental,
Business Paid Life Insurance, Vision & Eyewear benefits, Annual Leave, Paid Holidays and more.
Must have courteous and professional manner. Must be able to work under pressure and solve
problems. Possess ability to work with a wide variety of temperaments. Possess a positive attitude.
Ability to stand or sit for extended periods of time. Ability to lift/stretch/bend in providing
patient care. Auditory and visual acuity. Manual dexterity for operating office/medical equipment. High level of mental
The above Statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people
assigned to this classification. They are not intended to be construed, as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties,
and skills required of personnel so classified.
Bohn, Joseph & Swan Eye Center is an equal opportunity employer